I was destined to go to Argentina for product training. What seemed to be impossible (my turn) came true. Frantically prepare my presentation slides, seek opinions and approvals from the program managers. I am to offer training lessons and consultation services in Argentina.
It sounds exciting to teach a class of technicians and engineers especially when I was informed that the lessons will be videoed, edited and sent to various repair centers for information sharing purposes. The adrenaline rush of public speaking starts creping in the very moment when I board the plane, well aware that insufficient rehearsals are the setbacks for a good presentation!
As a bo-chap guy, I only get to seriously study my electronic ticket passenger itinerary while on the plane. Horror struck me when I got to know the number of transits and waiting time that I had to waste.
Singapore (8 hours flight) --> Sidney (3 hours transit, 3 hours flight) --> Auckland (1 hours transit, 12 hours flight)--> Chile (2 hours transit, 2 hours flight)--> Buenos Aires
It was nightmares on the seemingly never-ending flight. Throughout the while flight, I watched “Alice in Wonderland” and “Edge of darkness”, “How to train your dragon”, “14 blades”, “Bat man returns”, “The Bourne trilogy – Bourne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum”, “Wizard of Oz”, and for cartoons, I conquered “Spiderman”, “Ben 10”, and “power puff girls”..
The routine order of movie, sleep, and eat recurs for more than 60 hours!
Hope that these torturous journeys not gone to waste. I had joined Kris flyer and Asia miles program before my flight. Haha..
Transit at Auckland
Transit at Santiago
Argentina International airport
After checking into Sheraton Hotel, we went searching for dinner. To our horror, after walking down several streets, all we could find were cafes, pastry shops, and road side stalls… There was simply no MEAT as described in the tourist guide book! Just before we gave up, we notice a small cafeteria with simple western meals. We went straight in without second thoughts and ordered a lamb chop..
My first meal in Argentina
The first night was a sleepless night for me. My body clock insists that it was still noon time when it was already midnight in Argentina (11 hours behind Singapore time). I was expecting migraines and tiredness during my presentation the next day. Chatted mama through msn and Cayden-boy added in a few random letters for me too! I missed home so much.
After my presentation, I only found out from the locals that dinner in Argentina only begins after 8pm (usual Argentina dinner time is 9!). It was then that I realize why we are not able to find proper restaurants on our first night! This time, I asked for directions to find traditional barbequed meat as describe by the tourist guide (就是不死心). They recommended “EL POTRILLO” in Puerto Madero, one of the famous landmarks, occupying a portion of the Rio de la Plata riverbank and representing the latest architectural trends in the city of Buenos Aires.
Do not be misleaded by my photos above as 75% of the time, I am having bread, cheese and ham!
My impression of Argentina is that it’s a land of bread! We became more adventurous gradually and begin venturing to more places with our limited stay in Argentina.
Chinatown along Juramento
Old building structures along Chinatown
Majestic building in the shopping district - Florida
Internal of the shopping center resembling the ceiling of Musee Du Louvre
Police vehicles are common sight along Florida street
It took me 3 days to adapt to Argentina time and 1 whole week to get adjusted back to Singapore time again! Each day I would get very tired when I reached home and would fell asleep together with Cayden-boy at 9 pm. That explains the long delays to update this blog….
My stay in Argentina is definitely a memorable one, which I think not many Singaporeans will even consider to venture. If given a choice, I would definitely prefer going again with my wife and kid/s. This time, my whole family would conquer the Southern Patagonia ice field as well!

















No comments:
Post a Comment